Monday, December 1, 2008

being HIV positive

today I empowered myself by taking charge of my body and getting tested for HIV. go me! there was free testing on campus for students in recognition of World AIDS Day. It was very simple, you swab your own mouth. It takes 20 minutes to get the results and the duration of this is spent reviewing preventive measures, how HIV/AIDS is contracted, and talking about your sex life with the nurse, who was in my case, an old black woman. She was very kind, straight forward and informative. The kicker is that all people who were tested got nail clippers, mouth wash, condoms, a dental dam and an awareness ribbon. Overall a good experience, the real bonus was the NEGATIVE result.
The real message, at least in my opinion, is that we should all be positive about HIV and supportive of those with it. That's real empowerment and that's being POSITIVE.

No comments: